Saturday, July 9, 2011

Memory Lane

I have felt many emotions as Alicia, our youngest child, got married last month.  We are bona fide empty-nesters now and it has made me realize, once again, how short the child-rearing years are.  Here's a trip down memory lane with where it all began.
 A scared couple approached the Logan Temple on August 18, 1984.  I was scared because I'd been married before and felt I'd failed because my marriage had ended in divorce.  Alan was scared because he'd never married and it's a terrifying commitment at age 34.
We entered the Logan Temple with love for each other, a little anxiety (and a horrible 80s permed hairstyle). 

 We left the temple with the beginnings our our eternal family.
 My sister Julie, ever my help and support, took Brian to Wyoming while we were on our honeymoon.
 As you can see by this picture, Brian likes weddings about as much as his son Camden.
We left as a new family.  Brian was sealed to us.  He looked so tiny as he entered the tall doors of the sealing room.  He looked so vulnerable, then he saw us and knelt with us at the altar. 
 My talented mother made my wedding/temple dress from this picture.  She is amazing!
Several kind people gave Brian wedding presents.  He's holding one.  Aunt Gayle did the cross stitch of the Logan temple that is on the partition.

I wasn't going to have a wedding cake, but my talented friend, Ursula Blonquist, wanted to make one for us.


 Like Alicia, who has married into a family of five brothers, I joined the Weir family with Alan's four brothers.
 We really were happy!

We left for our honeymoon to Hawaii on August 19. I guess we have always loved the ocean.  This is the north shore of Oahu.
 
Below are our staged affection photos.  Set up the camera then run into position and kiss.
 


We visited the Hawaii Temple, but it was closed.

We spent a fun day at the Polynesian Cultural Center.


 This was a fun day on Kauai exploring Waimea Canyon.
We found the falls by a happy accident.
 After a long flight from Hawaii, we are waiting in the Los Angeles airport. Marty and Dixie threw an open house for us there.  We were SO tired!
We took one afternoon and explored Alan's homeland.
 He lived here until he was five.
 This is the house where he grew up in Los Angeles, California.
 Harbor City Elementary.
Some of the places are in a pretty bad  part of town.  We held the camera out of the car window and didn't even get out of the car.
 Alexander Fleming Junior High School
 Narbonne High School
 Harbor City Junior College where Alan got his associate degree.
 Cal State Dominguez Hills where Alan got his BA in political science.
 After our honeymoon, we drove to Rawlins, Wyoming to pick up Brian.  He's hidden between Ashlee and Jennie.  Tyler is in the stroller and Riley is in front of Ashlee.
 I'm so glad to see my little boy!  Brian is five.
 Alan joins the picture here.  Jeff must have been at work.
We're all back home with Alan and I decked out in our Hawaiian duds.

No comments:

Post a Comment