Sunday, October 2, 2011

I Love September!

 I love September!  It's the best month of the year, and this has been the best September ever. 
  •  It's always exciting when school starts.  Even though the calendar year is almost over, the start of school is a new beginning.  This story from the first weeks of school reminds me of why I love teaching school:  I asked my students to tell me things they love to see.  One student raised her hand and said she loved to see the Hindus in St. George.  I racked my brain trying to think of Hindus that might live in St. George.  I asked the student if she meant men that wear orange robes.  "No," she answered, "those funny shaped rocks."  "Ah, hoodoos," I answered.
  • Peaches, watermelon, corn-on-the-cob.  Who can resist the wonders of picking tomatoes from the garden?  Each week we have been able to pick a couple of cups of raspberries from our bushes.  We're in heaven!
 Fresh raspberries and tomatoes we took on a picnic.

  • The daisies may be gone, but the chrysanthemums and Japanese anemones are in full bloom.  Even the snap dragons paid a return visit when the weather cooled down.
 Chrysanthemum (above)
Japanese anemones (below) are a dainty pink.  The picture doesn't do them justice.
  •   It's cool in the morning when we walk.  It's cool in the evening and we can sleep with the window open.  We even had celestial weather during the day--in the low eighties for the whole month!

  • BYU football has had its ups and downs, but nothing can compare with Alan's excitement during the football season. (Even when the hour drive takes 2 hours and 45 minutes and BYU almost loses to Utah State.)

  • September weddings are gorgeous.  Our niece, Taylor, got married on a perfect day in September and a lot of our family got to be together.

We're sitting on the beautiful Salt Lake temple grounds.  
Taylor and Blake are with Grandma Hodges and Etheleen Holt, an adopted grandmother.

 The Burtons--Madison, Mark and Brenda
Alicia and Erik took off work and school to be with Taylor.

Alicia and I posed in front of the beautiful temple ground flowers.
Jeff and Julie flew up from Phoenix.
  Alan and I so enjoy getting our pictures taken.
Mike and Gayle--always cute.
The beautiful bride and her family.  Andy and Morgan Patterson, Blake and Taylor Ross, Stana and Jeff Hodges.

September is a wonderful month!


No comments:

Post a Comment